Today I want to share some advice regarding New Years Resolutions from one of my favourite Betfair Accredited Trainers, Jonathon Burgess.
What follows is extracted from a piece he wrote back in January 2011 for the Betting Insiders Members Report.
“Call me miserable, but I find the whole New Year‟s resolution thing complete nonsense.
In order to achieve success at anything you need to develop flexible medium to long-term plans and put in daily effort.
If there‟s one thing I want you to take away from this article it‟s that I would like you to keep it readily available as a quick reference.”
Below are Jon's top 10 rules for betting success
1. Choose your adviser’s VERY carefully! – If somebody doesnt have a strong reputation ignore them until they do
2. Have a plan – Don't bet on a whim make rules for your betting and follow them
3. Understand Value – We've talked about it before. No value = no long term profit
4. Be realistic – Don't think you will get rich quick, you won't
5. Be seasonal – No one system or method works all year
6.Learn from mistakes – Keep good records and review them every few weeks
7. Learn the fundamentals of form reading – Systems betting is a good basis, but learn to know when a selection really has no hope.
8. Bet on the best – Quality horses run consistently
9. Use the exchanges – Not always but predominantly
10. Long term view – Back to items 4 & 2
There are some great quotes from Winston Churchill that apply to any endeavor in life.
“Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential.”
“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.”
“Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.”
Taunton 2.20 Rowan Tiger – each way